DESKTOP METAL – Shop System™ Forust Edition
With the Shop System Forust Edition, architects, designers, and manufacturers can produce custom wood pieces that combine design and functionality for home decor, consumer products, and architectural design applications.
Through advanced printheads and high-speed binder jetting technology, the Shop System™ Forust Edition delivers high-resolution 3D printing of wood parts with realistic grain patterns. Additive manufacturing also offers a superior environmental footprint and intricate, complex designs previously unobtainable with traditional subtractive wood processing methods.
The complete system incorporates key safety features to enable 3D printing combustible wood powder and includes:
– Fabricate MFG build prep software, which allows users to print parts with no grain pattern or four grain patterns that can replicate ash, mahogany, and more.
– Shop System Forust Edition binder jet 3D printer with a build box of 13.8 x 8.7 x 7.9 in, and a print speed of about ⅘ of an inch in Z-height per hour.
– Forust Wood Powder, a special blend of raw or unfinished maple and oak sawdust from the traditional wood milling industry.
– Forust Binder, which comes in clear and brown colors to bind wood powder particles and create natural-looking wood grain patterns that flow across the entire part.
– A wood parts post-process guide that walks users through a recommended workflow for infiltrating parts after 3D printing with USDA certified bio-based resins.
After infiltration, Forust parts can be sanded, stained, polished, dyed, coated, and refinished in the same manner as traditionally manufactured wood products. Infiltrated Forust parts have strength similar to traditional wood and can be screwed or nailed.
The technology is viewed as a sustainable production method, largely because of its high speed, low waste and cost, as well as material flexibility.